Members of the Network will have a stand in the foyer at Tesco Extra, Cuckoo Bridge, Dumfries on Awareness Day, 12th May 2017 to share information about these illnesses and the Network. Both blue and purple ribbon pins will be available.
Articles / Blogs
- A Scottish student will walk the red carpet at this year’s Cannes film festival after his short graduation film was chosen from thousands of entries to compete for a prize. Wild Horses, which he wrote and directed, is about a teenage girl who has myalgic encephalopathy (ME), or chronic fatigue syndrome. Check out the article.
- On 21/4/17, the ME Association posted about an ongoing storyline about ME/CFS on BBC1 ‘Doctors’. ME Association explained: “The MEA was consulted about this medical soap opera storyline some time ago and gave appropriate information and guidance on various controversies surrounding ME/CFS. Part of the storyline is supposed to illustrate differing views amongst health professionals about nomenclature, diagnosis, cause and management of ME/CFS. We don’t have any control over the scripts or storyline – so I suspect that there are going to be parts of this storyline that people with ME/CFS will both approve of and not approve of as it moves along next week.”
- ME Action will be protesting in Edinburgh on 12th May 2017. They are accepting shoe donations for people who are too ill to attend.
- The article ‘Chronic fatigue syndrome linked to imbalanced microbiome’ is about a study to disentangle imbalances in the gut bacteria in individuals with ME/CFS and IBS. Check out the article.
- A second article linking Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to gut bacteria was also shared.
What have our members been discussing, including support to them
- Members continue to discuss the benefits and options of taking vitamin D and / or B12 to reduce / manage the symptoms of fatigue. It is unfortunate their is no magic pill for the fatigue these conditions bring to our members.
- Vision problems which medical staff felt was related to the members Fibromyalgia was shared.
- We welcomed a few new members to our Facebook page, gentle hugs to you all. It was really good to note that one of our new members found us by one of our business cards held at their local pharmacy while another was given our business card by their GP. This can be a very lonely illness, the Network helps members know they are not alone.
- The use of non adrenaline anaesthetic for dental treatment was shared. The recommendation is that members share their medical condition with their health professionals.